Below I dive into some of the storylines over the last week of CRL action, and pick out some winning and losing teams, players, and groups.
Winner: The West Top Three
- The top three teams in the West went a combined 9-1 in Week three. The only loss comes within the top three, as LSU beat Arizona 3-2. LSU continued their undefeated start, improving to 9-0 with a clean 3-0 week. UNT finished the week 2-0, while Arizona added four wins outside of the lone loss to LSU.
Loser: Semi-Inactive Teams
- The CRL season is intense and sometimes teams need a week of fewer games to cool off a bit and reset. In week three it seems like those teams forgot to wake up for their games though. Teams that played two or fewer games went a combined 3-12. If you remove UNT who was previously mentioned as going 2-0 in week three, the remaining nine teams have a staggering 1-12 record.
Winner: Akron vs. Northwood Spectators
- What a show these two titans put on for us as Akron delivered the first blow to Northwood’s perfect season live on the A-Stream, taking them down 3-1. Fans, power rankers, and players scrambled to be the first to claim Akron #1 and “Buttinz Goat”, but their celebration wouldn’t last long. Northwood returned to form for their second match, easily taking down Akron 3-0 and showing everyone once again why they are still at the top of the East. The 1-1 aggregate score between these teams leaves so much to be determined heading towards playoffs.
Loser: “UT Adverse”
- Not the team or the school, the only loser here is people still using this nickname. If anyone wasn’t a fan of it, it has to be Samba, and he’s gone and proved it wrong. He currently leads all of CRL with 473 points/game, and also sits in 6th for goals/game and 2nd in saves/game. Arlington as a team has been playing great the last few weeks, despite a 2-3 record in week three. Losses to Arizona and LSU are tough but not too surprising; splitting two series with CSUF, as well as pulling off a win over UTD is quite encouraging for UTA.
Winner: The letters A-D
- Many people provide tips and tricks, or even coaching on how to improve as a Rocket League player. Here at the CCA is no different, and if you want success, I have one easy solution. Make your gamertag start with a letter A-D. Six out of the top ten players in all of CRL for MVP’s start with A-D, which means that’s your ticket to carrying matches at the collegiate level. If you want to get even more technical, three out of the top four start with B (although that hasn’t helped me yet). No matter how you look at it: Bobsto, buzz, Buddy, Ayjacks, dbanq, and daffy are crushing it so far this season.